Magnet safety information
Neodymium magnets can shatter and break
Although neodymium magnets feel strong, they are quite brittle. If they are allowed to collide freely into each other, they might shatter and break. Small sharp metal pieces can fly into the air from shattering magnets. Always handle magnets with care, and do not allow them to collide freely into each other. Wearing eye protection is recommended when working with magnets.
Keep magnets away from children
Neodymium magnets are not toys. Do not allow children to play with them. Small magnets can pose a choking hazard. If multiple magnets are swallowed, they can cause serious intestinal injuries.
Neodymium magnets can unexpectedly jump together
When working with neodymium magnets, they might unexpectedly jump together from seemingly long distance. If your finger is in the way, it can cause pain and skin damage with small magnets and serious injuries with larger magnets.
Items that are sensitive to magnetic fields
Neodymium magnets can create strong magnetic fields around them. Keep neodymium magnets always at least 20 cm apart from items that are sensitive to magnetic fields and might break from their effect. These items include pacemakers, watches, credit cards and other magnetic cards, cassette tapes, CRT displays, mobile phones and GPS devices.
Nickel allergy and magnets
Most neodymium magnets are nickel-plated. If you are allergic to nickel, it is recommended that you wear gloves or avoid directly handling neodymium magnets for longer periods of time.
Operating temperature of magnets
Neodymium magnets enjoy cold temperatures and perform at their best in a temperature of about -130°C. However, neodymium magnets do not work very well in very warm temperatures (over 80°C) and become demagnetized. Their magnetic power might not recover fully after spending time at over 80°C temperatures.
Neodymium magnet powder is flammable
It is not recommended to modify neodymium magnets by drilling or machining. Neodymium magnet powder is highly flammable.